🦝 Day One: Orientation Day (No One Asked the Raccoon)

 


My name is Simon.
I am the underpaid, highly observant raccoon intern at Beartooth Cleaning of Red Lodge.
I did not apply for this job.
I simply showed up one day to audit the trash situation and was immediately handed a clipboard and a tote labeled “King Sheets.”
And thus began my internship.



How This All Started

Before we begin, let’s establish something important.
Beartooth Cleaning has been serving Red Lodge since 2009. That means this team has been doing vacation rental, residential, construction, and commercial cleaning long enough to know the difference between:
• “Looks clean”
• “Actually clean”
• “Guest clean”
• “Owner inspection clean”
These are not the same thing.
And if you think they are, I encourage you to look under your couch cushions right now.
I’ll wait.



My First Day on the Job

On my first official day as an intern, I learned five critical truths:
  1. When a guest says “We barely used the kitchen,” that is statistically untrue.
  1. Deep pocket mattresses are a test of character.
  1. The vacuum has seen things.
  1. The grill is never as clean as it looks.
  1. There is always something under the bed.


Always.
I don’t know why humanity hides things under beds. But I can confirm forks migrate there. Along with socks, popcorn, receipts, and occasionally something that raises philosophical questions.



Cleaning Is Logistics, Not Just Wiping

If you’ve never managed a short-term rental turnover, let me explain something.
This is not casual house cleaning.
This is precision timing.
Check-out at 10.
Check-in at 4.
Laundry cycle times.
Dry times.
Inventory counts.
Owner expectations.
Guest reviews.
Emergency texts at 3:42 PM.
Every turnover is a coordinated event.
Sheets must be correct size.
Towels must match build-to charts.
Stock must be accurate.
Coffee pods must exist in appropriate numbers.
Hot tubs must not resemble soup.
This is a system.
And I love a system.



Why Details Matter

Here’s the difference between an average clean and a professional turnover:
An average clean wipes what you can see.
A professional clean checks:
• Under couch cushions
• Behind nightstands
• Inside drawers
• Coffee maker reservoirs
• Lint traps
• Door glass
• Baseboards
• Grill grates
• Sauna handles
• Exterior entry areas
Owners notice details.
Guests absolutely notice details.
Reviews are built on details.
You don’t earn “most hospitable property” recognition by hoping no one checks behind the bathroom door.
You earn it by assuming they will.



The Myth of “It Looked Fine”

Let’s talk about the phrase “It looked fine.”
This phrase is the enemy of excellence.
Floors that “look fine” might have wax buildup that turns them into sticky dust magnets.
Sheets that “look fine” might not be fully tucked on deep pocket mattresses.
Stock that “looks fine” might leave the next guest short one washcloth and one ounce of patience.
Professional cleaning is not about what’s visible from the doorway.
It’s about what holds up under scrutiny.



What I Actually Do Here

As the raccoon intern, my duties include:
• Inventory auditing
• Tote monitoring
• Observational reporting
• Silent judgment
• Blog documentation
• Back-end logistics commentary
I also enforce one sacred rule:
Queen sheets do not go in the king tote.
If civilization collapses, this will be why.



Why This Blog Exists

This blog is not just raccoon therapy.
It’s transparency.
If you’re a homeowner in Red Lodge, a vacation rental owner, or someone considering hiring professional cleaning services, here’s what you should know:
Great cleaning is not random.
It’s structured.
It’s systemized.
It’s accountable.
It’s experienced.
Beartooth Cleaning doesn’t dabble in short-term rentals.
They specialize.
There is a difference.



Final Thoughts From the Intern

I came here expecting trash.
What I found was grit, systems, checklists, and a team that understands that tourism in Red Lodge matters.
People don’t just rent a house.
They rent an experience.
Clean spaces protect that experience.
And if I have to crawl under one more bed to protect it, I will.
Because someone has to.
Welcome to Day One.
— Simon
Raccoon Intern
Keeper of the Totes
Watcher of the Lint Trap


Comments

Popular Posts